*Puppies are not placed based on a first come first serve basis. It is in the best interest of the puppy to be placed in a home with a lifestyle that is appropriate for the puppy’s energy level and personality. Please fully answer the questionnaire so that we can match you with a puppy that suits your family.
*Roman Reign reserves the first right to all dogs that may not be able to stay in their current living situation. We are available for our dogs throughout their entire lives.
Are you interested in a Greater Swiss or Lowchen?
Links to websites, blogs, or social media handles:
Please list other individuals living in your home with ages:
Please provide two emergency contacts who will be willing to care for your dog during emergencies.
Please provide contact information or your vet. If you do not currently have a vet, we will assist you in finding one in your area.
- Do you prefer a male or female? Or would you accept either?
- Would you be interested in an adult?
- Would you be interested in a special need puppy (non-life threatening physical abnormality)?
- Do you have a color preference?
- Whose decision was it to get a dog?
- What specifically attracted you to this breed?
Previous dog ownership experience:
- Have you previously owned this breed?
- Have you previously owned a dog?
If yes, please provide the following for each dog you have owned (attach list if necessary):
– Breed (or prevalent breed if mixed) and sex
– How did you obtain the dog (purchased, found, given as a gift, adopted, etc.)
– Age when obtained
– What happened to the dog (sold, given to others, lost, died (include cause of death))?
- What animals do you currently own? If you currently own another dog, is it altered?
- Are you planning on getting another dog in the near future?
- Do you breed dogs now, or have you had experience breeding dogs?
Purpose and Training:
- What type of disposition are you looking for? What habits or behaviors would you not be able to tolerate? Describe what you expect of and for this puppy.
- What experience do you have owning and training dogs?
- Where do you plan on attending training with your puppy?
- (GREATER SWISS ONLY) Are you aware that Swissies can be very vocal, stubborn, persistent, crafty, independent, and physically strong with high prey drive? Please explain how you have managed other dogs or people like this in the past?
- (GREATER SWISS ONLY ) Are you committed to a lifetime of training your dog, especially when they go through the terrible teenager phase?
- Do you have experience with kennel training a dog? A dog that is kennel trained will be easier to transport during emergencies and have an easier time while boarded?
- (LOWCHEN ONLY) How do you plan on grooming your dog? Would you be interested in learning how to groom him/her yourself?
- (GREATER SWISS ONLY) Are you committed to dedicating all of your time in the first 16 weeks of your Swissy’s life to elaborate socialization? I will provide detailed instructions on the process, and it is absolutely critical that it is done correctly.
- Do you agree to call me first if your puppy exhibits any unacceptable behaviors?
- (GREATER SWISS ONLY) Are you aware that Swissies are not very easy to housetrain and often times are not reliable until 9 months of age or even older? With my training method, it is quite possible to house train them at a young age though it requires consistency and time upfront.
- Detailed Purpose and Training:
Which of the following reasons best fit the primary reason(s) you would like to have a dog? Please elaborate as needed.
- A gift
- conformation showing
- draft work
- for spouse
- for the children
- for other pet
- guard dog
- obedience showing
- search and rescue
- service dog
- therapy dog
- Are you currently pregnant or expecting to adopt or have a child within 1 year of getting your new puppy?
- Is there anyone else who will be living with the dog that is not already listed above?
- How does everyone in the home feel about a puppy?
- Is anyone living in the home with the dog allergic to dogs? Lowchens are excellent for people with allergies to dogs. Greater Swiss do shed and can have large amounts of dander. It is quite possible for people with allergies to with both breeds with consistent house cleaning and grooming.
- How would you describe your neighborhood? Are you in a condo, apartment, duplex, ranch, developer neighborhood?
- (GREATER SWISS ONLY) Would your neighbors tolerate a loud mouth dog?
- Do you own your own home?
- Occupation of Spouse/Companion:
Maintenance and Care
- How will your dog normally be transported? Are you able to transport your dog in kennel? Some dogs like to “drive.” I do recommend teaching the dog to stay in the backseat of the vehicle, transporting in a kennel, using a vehicle barrier, or a seat belt restraint.
- Do you agree to keep your dog in a climate controlled environment during extreme temperatures? Swissies are not heat tolerant, and they can easily suffer heat strokes in 75 degree weather. You must take care to not over exercise them in the heat.
- Are you dedicated to maintaining your dog’s training throughout his or her entire lifetime?
- Do you agree to keep your dog at a fit weight for the sake of their health?
- What arrangements would you make for the care of the dog when you are traveling?
- If your dog is traveling with you, do you have a process for making the dog as comfortable as possible?
Are you willing to plan for the dog’s well-being if any of the following should happen? I am always available to help you through these events. :
- New baby in the home
- Elderly family member in home
- Loss of job or serious illness
- Develop allergy to dogs
- Decided to that you do not want your dog
Do you agree to sign a written contract that:
- A) Roman Reign has a first right of refusal to take any dog back at any time for any reason should the owner decide they can no longer keep their dog.
- B) Requires you to use your veterinarian, trainer, and Roman Reign as your 1st resource for the health, training, and well-being of the dog. Information on the Internet can be useful in understanding health and training questions, however it is not the best source for diagnoses and recommendations.
- C) As an owner of a Roman Reign puppy, you will become an ambassador of the breed by virtue of having a Swissy or Lowchen. You agree to responsibly train and manage your dog. You and your dog will likely become the face of the breed in your local area as both breeds are relatively rare, and you agree to represent the breed in the best light both online and in person.
You will have two options to pick up your pet/companion pup:
- Pick up puppy in person at our home in Minneapolis, MN.
- Buy a round trip plane ticket and take pup back home with you in a X-Large collapsible Sherpa bag under the seat in the cabin. We can meet you at the airport with your puppy.
-Greater Swiss puppies will not be sent home any earlier than 8 weeks and no later than 9.5 weeks via plane given their size.
-Lowchen puppies are available to go home via in cabin on a plane at any age after 8 weeks old.
Shipping via cargo is not an option for a puppy. Adults may be shipped in proper conditions. Our airport code is MSP. You do not need to make a decision about pick up at the time of application.
- How did you find us?
- Were you referred to Roman Reign?
- Have you met an adult Greater Swiss Mountain Dog or Lowchen?
- If yes, please list the owner’s name and place of meeting:
- If you have not met any Greater Swiss or Lowchen in person, are you willing to?
Relationship with Breeder:
- Will you commit to staying in contact with Roman Reign for the life of your puppy with both good news and bad should it occur? Roman Reign is dedicating supporting our homes for the life of your dog. We are available 24/7.
- Are you willing to update Roman Reign with your puppy’s health status for the life of your dog?
- Will you purchase insurance for your puppy? This is optional, and we can help you find an insurance carrier you like.
Please feel free to add any additional comments or questions you might have. We look forward to working with you.